Monday 17 September 2007

Jokers

Brooke (my roommate) has recently decided she is going to use the term "Aces" to mean something good happened or to describe something good ("like aces"). This all came about because a friend of hers uses the word "chocolate" for that same purpose. I have decided if people are going to start making up new slang words for good things, I also wanted a trademark word.

My word is going to be "jokers" (keeping with the card theme) and it is going to mean (a) crazy (b) wild and (c) terrible. I thought of this while I was waiting for the bus this AM and would have texted Brooke my brilliant new slang word, however, her phone doesn't accept text messages because it is not actually a cell phone but it is a cordless phone she happens to carry around in her purse. So Brooke, I hope you read this.

Here are a few scenarios of when "jokers" would be appropriate to use:

When the Red Sox are winning and then the Yankees sneak attack them in the last two innings with lots of runs all of a sudden (as per Friday's game):

"Jokers! What happened?"

When your roommate comes home and tells you a crazy story about a tan old man wearing orange short shorts and no shirt on the bus:

"That's jokers!"

When a colleague asks you how your Saturday night was and it consisted of you waiting in line at a way too cool bar, never end up getting in and finding yourself at another bar that is less cool but in a bad way where the end of a pub crawl is happening and so there are way too many people in matching t-shirts falling all over each other:
"It was like jokers. I am not even kidding you."

So you'll hear me using the word "jokers" now. You can use it too but remember I started it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

ACES!

(which Coop from Twin Peaks actually used, to give credit where credit is due)

Anonymous said...

I may be dating myself, but one of my favourite 'made-up' expressions was from Scooby-Doo. Thelma used to say 'Jinkies', and in the right situations, that word appears in my mind.

I'll have to substitute 'Jokers' for it now...

S said...

I haven't rrread your post, yet. I just had to comment though, cause ARGH, it's National Talk Like a Pirate Day!

marmie said...

Jenn, you could go somewhere with this. IF you don't believe me, read the book Frindle. In fact, I suggest you read it as part of our mother/daughter book club. Heheh

Anonymous said...

I agree with Diane. In fact, every time I read Jokers, I thought of Jinkies :)

PS-Can't believe I missed talk like a pirate day :(

Anonymous said...

Why can't I be in a book club? I like to read :(

marmie said...

Does Mr. History like to read children's fiction (at a fourth grade level? If so, he is welcome to join the book club at any time. Sometimes the book club advances to adult, womanly books, but--again, still welcome to join.
ARGHHH. It's never too late to talk like a pirate. :)