Wednesday 28 November 2007

Survey

I'd say the number one response I have gotten from the previous post is everyone I know laughing at the words "junking out." I was told that "pigging out" is more common in American slang. This was interesting to me, because I am pretty sure I have used "junking out", "junked out", and "junk out" to express the concept of over-eating junk food my entire life. So, I ran a completely unscientific poll of my friends and random people I work with to determine what they thought on the matter.


Only 2 out of 7 people expressed that they had never heard of the terms junking out unprompted
The other 5 people did not question the term junking out until the topic was raised by the surveyer.
7 out of 7 people eventually expressed that junking out is not a common phrase in the English language.
1 out of 7 people surveyed say things like "Hog Heaven" in daily conversation.

I felt like the results to this survey were inconclusive, so I then researched it on the internet. Wikipedia has no entry for this combination of the words "junk" and "out". Urban Dictionary also does not have an entry. After striking out on those two sources, I gave up.

Turns out, junking out must only be something my family uses/does. I find it more PC than pigging out-- I wouldn't want the local swine to get a complex regarding their consumption habits, would you?

In other news, I left my computer power cord at my parents house, so my novel will have to be finished in December. Also, it has been determined that the internet on my computer is indeed different than the internet on the computer I am using right now. I am serious. It really really is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah...I never heard "junking out" until going out with Stacey for well over a year.