Saturday 13 December 2008

Weird Fact #2: The Dollar Bill is Obsolete

There are a lot of reasons I need to rely on quarters these days. Okay, there are two reasons I need to rely on quarters- Buying diet coke in the vending machine at work and laundry.

Every time I go to do either of those things, I get my quarters in order. To do that, I absolutely must check to see what states are on the backs. Then, I choose the 3 plus states I like the least (If the quarter is so old there isn't a state on the back, that automatically trumps even my least favorite state- Texas- and gets used first) to use for my purchase/ load of laundry.

I also double check the states when loaning quarters out. Yup, that's right. If you borrow a quarter from me I will have given you my least favorite state in the slew of quarters hanging out in my change purse.

6 comments:

Diane Flynn said...

That's too funny. I love the idea of using quarters in order of state preference!

I have to say, though, I love the dollar coins. The first time I ever got one was in NYC and I thought it was a scam. But, really, so much more practical than bills.

Jennifer said...

The problem with dollar coins is that they are not accepted everywhere. I have had instances where I tried to pay in multiple Sacajaweas and it was frowned upon. Also, some vending machines don't take them either (our new ones at work do, but the old ones didn't). I agree though that they are more practical. Much more handy than dollar bills.

marmie said...

dollar coins? where have I been?
when did we start using them? could it be that I don't know this because I rarely use a vending machine? I'll have to brush up on my coinage knowledge ASAP.

LJ said...

Do you use them in order of state preference or which state design you like the best?

Jennifer said...

It's a combo of state and design. A good design could bump a least favorite state up to the ladder of preference.

Anonymous said...

Texas' design is a cop-out. But I'd put it over say...Wyoming. The worst state...EVER.

Soon, the dollar coins will be all the presidents. They'll be back, and coke addicts will need to start using $5's to snort.