Tuesday 23 December 2008

Weird Fact #3: I'm going to start calling these "quirks"

We all have our weird quirks, and one of mine has to do with how I read magazines. I don't like to read them cover to cover, because then I feel sad and defeated when I finish too early. If I have a magazine in my hand, it is coveted reading material because I almost always am reading it on a plane, or while waiting for a plane, the two most boring places known to man. (I no longer subscribe to any magazines because my two faves went out of business and there are too many National Geographics to choose just one. Should I go for the Traveler? Or the original. I can never decide.)

Instead, I read each individually purchased magazine three times. First, I read it back to front. Usually in the back there are interesting short things I want to read first- like my horoscope. I need to know how my month/ week/ etc is going to turn out. And I need to know that immediately.

Then I read it center to back, so I can read the essays/ longer articles. I don't always finish the longer articles because that involves finding the ending pieces in the back, which by then I am not in the mood for, as it is my second time at the end of the magazine, and I kind of feel like-- been there, done that.

Next, I pick up where I started in the center, and read again back towards the front. I know this is starting to sound repetitive, but I am telling you, it is not. With all of the ads and the shortness of these beginning articles, and being bored with the magazine the first time you got to this point, you can find a lot of new stuff in there.

Last, I start at page one, and go through the entire magazine with a fine tooth comb because for some bizarre reason, I know I missed an article, a tidbit, a cover story. I probably missed the reason I bought the magazine in the first place and I am like a detective, desperate to find it. And eventually I do. Because I can get through this part pretty rapidly, I finally take the time to read the end of those articles I read back in my first read through. I am always disappointed.

By the time I have done all of this, I am exhausted and can take a nap, which, it turns out, was the point of this whole process.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got me beat - I only ever get two reads out of a magazine. The front-to-back overview, and then then the re-read of the things that looked interesting but too long to hold my attention while I was trying to overview. I'm going to have to try a 'center-out' read and see what I'm missing...

marmie said...

when at the doc's office or hairdresser, i read my mags any which way, depending on gossip of celebs or other interesting fodder.
My running mag I read start to finish, and usually in two sittings at most. I'm a running freak. :)