Wednesday 27 June 2007

The To-Do List

Periodically, I am going to update all of you on the progress (or lack thereof) of the To-Do List you see on the right hand side of the page. This won't be pretty:

1. Learn to Surf. I've always wanted to learn how to surf. I am going to postpone this one until my friend Courtney moves to Costa Rica so she can teach me on a beach there. New England just isn't condusive to surfing. Plus, I don't own a surfboard. Yet.

2. Grow a plant before killing it. Ah yes. To be honest, I have failed at this so many times, I am a little afraid to try again. My latest attempt included oregano and a mini terra cotta pot. With much ado, I planted at least 300 tiny little seeds hoping one would sprout. After forgetting to water it for several weeks, the soil dried up and nothing happened. I replenished the mini garden with some water, with no luck. Still no sprouts. I am not optimistic.

3. Learn to play electric guitar and/or drums. I honestly haven't even tried to work on this one. First, I need access to the aforementioned instruments and a teacher. Second, my only real reason for wanting to play the guitar is because there is this awesome lemon yellow one that I love and I want it. It seems silly to buy an instrument I don't know how to play. I don't really know anything about guitars either. The reason I'd substitute learning the drums is because I think they would be good to get out some of the rage. Also, if you don't like your neighbors, drums are any easy way to create enemies. Plus, it is so rockstar. Last, I can practice on pots and pans using chopsticks, which makes it quite conveniant considering we have all of these things in our kitchen.

4. Learn to draw (again). Did I mention I skipped my drawing class this week?

5. Go one month without buying a pair of shoes. I am almost there. Just about 2 more weeks and I can indulge myself.

6. Experiment with sugar art. I recently discovered my roommate owns one of those silicone mats. She thinks it is good for rolling out biscuit dough. I think it is good for pouring molten hot sugar liquid onto for molding purposes. All I need is a candy thermometer and an apartment free of disapproving roommates to get this one complete. Piece of cake.

7. Write something and get it published somewhere. Does this blog count? Prob not. I guess I should start writing real things soon.

8. Run a 5k in less than 30 minutes. This one was put on there mainly for pride purposes. I can't have my mom beating my ass at 5ks. However, considering I have been too lazy to run lately, I am nowhere near this goal. I have a road race in September, though. I will let you know how that goes.

In a nutshell, it appears I am only close to accomplishing the one about not buying shoes. Considering how tight my budget has been lately, this was kind of an easy one. However, it is important to celebrate even the most minor accomplishments. Maybe on my month shoe-free anniversary, my roommate will make me an ugly sheet cake as a reward.

2 comments:

S said...

So I have the attention span of a goldfish and can't remember if your goal is to complete this to-do list in a month, the summer, a year, or your lifetime. Regardless, as for your publishing efforts, you should join NaNoWriMo. We don't start writing till November, but it's loads of fun. And if you finish, you can edit your piece and send it to publishers. Just a thought.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Jennifer said...

You don't have the attention span of a goldfish. I never actually posted when I wanted to get the list done.

There are these agendas you can buy that have 8 days per week. They have the seven normal days, and then an extra day called Someday.

Even though I think it is sort of silly to have an 8 day plan for a 7 day week, let's consider my to-do list as being completed on the 8th day. Which is hopefully soon, but could be never.