Saturday 21 July 2007

Color Me Wonderful Part Deux

When I started taking this class, believe me, I was skeptical about this woman's philosophy on how to draw. I mean, draw from the inside out? Come on. Not to mention, we started each class laying on the ground. Yes, that is right. We had to lay on the ground to get inspired. Most times I fell asleep, daydreamed, or momentarily forgot I was in a class. Needless to say, I thought the whole thing was a little cheesy. I still do, to be honest. But, one thing I did learn: oil pastels don't suck. I actually kind of like them and I will tell you why. For all of you who know me, I have a little bit of a split personality. I can go with the flow and I can be kind of flaky and all that, but then there is this other side of me that is extremely OCD. At work I need to have everything organized and when I draw I like things to be perfect (which is why I normally stick to pencil). Oil pastels don't allow for perfection. So I quickly learned that when things don't turn out like you want them to, just go with the flow. So, that's what I learned from art class, kids. Go with the flow. Here is my art class in review:

Look at the beautiful colors! (See the first post about this art class to really understand what this image means).

My first attempt at drawing a still life (I call this "Dead Flowers"). This is actually one of my favorite incomplete drawings that I did. I really wish I had time to finish it. I sit next to this women Ann who is my archnemesis. She is done with her entire drawing before I even finish a flower. I am not even kidding.

Green on Green (This is when I really mastered the "Draw the foreground and the background at the same time" technique, which is why it doesn't look like anything in particular. My teacher loved it though, because the colors were just so "vibrant." It was after I almost completed this drawing that I retook my status of teacher's pet over Ann Speedy Fingers.)

An apple. (I spent 45 minutes drawing this apple. After the 20 minute warm up laying in the grass, the 15 minute schpeel on how some things are lighter than others (really? you don't say), and the 10 minute break after 45 minutes of drawing, you can see why I might not have finished the rest of the drawing in only 30 minutes. My teacher couldn't. She said, "You start out so beautifully, and then.... the rest just looks incomplete." Talk about stating the obvious.)


I am not sure what the last class will hold. I am not sure if my teacher is sure what the last class will hold. When we left last Tuesday she was muttering quietly to herself: "I know what we will do next class. Yes! I know just the thing." When we asked if we had any homework (as if), she said, "Oh no. Just bring yourselves. And your things. And your artistic spirit. That will do the trick." Hopefully I can find my artistic spirit before Tues and I will be all set.

1 comment:

marmie said...

you are an artist. Bravo!