Tuesday 7 July 2009

What do I do?

Since I have been asking everyone and anyone to help me with my job search (AKA Operation Find Me a New Job by August 1), it's only right that I actually tell you what I actually want... right?

At first, I was going to give you a bit of background on what I've done, what my skills are, my present position within the company.... but that got complicated. I currently work in the travel industry liaising between our sales team in Boston and our Operational team abroad. That's really all I can say without starting to sound like Charlie Brown's mom: WAH WAH WAH. If you've ever tried to explain your job to someone, you probably know what I mean.

Since that method is a complete wash, what I can do is tell you a little bit about what I want in my dream job... and maybe you can help me get there. Maybe it won't be in this next form of employment, but hopefully my next role will get me closer to where I want to be in the future.

So, here goes. Ideally-- I want to work for myself either in the form of a freelance writer, art/textile maker, or hot chocolate shop owner. Even more ideally, a combination of those three things would really make me as happy as a clam. In addition, I'd like my future to involve supporting charitable causes. Basically, I want to live in a world with rainbows and sunshine and unicorns and be my own boss.

I've been trying to think about how exactly to get there. In order to run my own business of a hot chocolate shop that doubles as a gallery/studio space and still allow time for writing on the side... I have a feeling I need to save some money. The only way to save money is to actually make money, and with my ridiculous Boston rent and only average paying job, that just hasn't been happening for me.

This means I have two choices. I can get a higher paying job that does not interest me in the slightest but allows me to check in at nine and check out at five and reap the benefits of a decent paycheck and pursue my artistic dreams on the side. OR-- I can worry about the money side of things later and get a job in a non-profit arts organization to gain experience and learn a little something about how to potentially run my own show one day. Either of these would work for me.

To give you even more background on what I am looking for (aside from anything, as the case may be) there have been particular things that have piqued my interest while scrolling through pages and pages of job postings on 10+ different job search engines.

(1) Interesting organizations: I don't mind being an administrative assistant in an organization that I consider cool. Zipcar is one of these such organizations. Young, hip, and such a neat idea (car sharing for the carless city dwellers like myself)-- I'd love to work there.

(2) Firms that deal with the creative side of things: Even though it has been fun to be a jet setter the past four plus years working in the travel industry, that job sector just isn't hiring right now. My skills are pretty transferrable, though, and if I am going to continue to work for "the man" I'd like it to be in a slightly more creative field. I always tell people, "I speak creative." This means, I can communicate with artists, graphic designers, musicians, floral designers, etc... and translate it over to what the rest of you speak. I can do this because I am half creative. So-- if you know anyone who works for an Art school, an Interior design firm, Publishing company, Events Management or PR firm, etc, I want to know about it.

(3) Non-profits with missions I can stand behind (and understand). I'm not really an activist type person who goes out and pickets in front of the state house. However, I do like to support causes in more subtle ways. Examples of non-profits that have missions I like: Reach Out and Read (gets books to underpriviliged children through their local pediatrician), Americans for Arts (top non-profit that promotes Arts organizations), and really anything that involves the Arts or reading or writing or Vespas.

(4) Location, Location, Location. Yes, I live in Boston. But, I don't consider myself stuck here. I've been looking for jobs in New York City, Washington DC, Savannah, Philly, coastal California, Seattle... and would be happy to consider other locations that have a neat art scene and preferably don't require a car (unless the job pays well).

That's really all of the criteria I can come up with at this stage. But will post more as I think of them. In the meantime-- if anyone out there thinks of any place I should be looking at... please continue to send them along. Thanks ahead!

5 comments:

Shannon Karafanda said...

Ahh now we know what to look for. I'll keep an eye open but you'll need a car here (and probably in Savannah too). Although in both cases you could get around without one.

Jane Talkington said...

Under interests at the bottom of my resume I listed Laundry. It intrigued the recruiters enough to interview me just to see what kind of professional person would have the audacity to list laundry. I got the job.

Jennifer said...

Just as an update--- If I can find a job fast, I can afford to get a car if I need one for my new city (especially if it is a less expensive city than where I currently live). The trick is not having to dip into my savings while being unemployed. I'm flexible!

Jennifer said...

And-- althought my interests do not include laundry... definitely will start thinking of ways to spice up my resume!

marmie said...

add hot chocolate to the bottom of your resume. or write hot chocolate in french to really intrigue them. :)