Tuesday 7 August 2007

Don't get too excited, but...

I grew these!

There is still plenty of time to kill the little buggers yet, but it's a good sign that they grew at all. That's more than I can say for attempts zero and negative one which were such failures I couldn't even assign them positive numbers.

This is an extremely inaccurate chart. First, I made up the data. Well, I didn't make up the data as much as I made up the fact that I was diligently checking the growth over a set number of days. I checked it one random day and it was the height of my pinky finger. The next time I checked it was as large as my thumb (later that afternoon, perhaps?). Some other day in the near future it was as tall as my middle finger and today it is as high as my wrist bone. I can't be sure if my first check was 4 days ago or more or less but it was certainly faster than expected. If I was in 2nd grade math I would probably fail. Or maybe just my parents would get a letter sent home informing them that not only am I making up research, but also that I don't know how to use a ruler. I can imagine my parents reading that letter, shaking their heads and setting me up at the kitchen table with a ruler and various objects to measure as practice. And I'd probably get a lecture on not making up research. I have to wonder, is making up stuff worse than plagiarizing?

Along the subject of elementary school math, I was terrible at my times tables. Also counting money. And time. How I survive life now I have no idea.

1 comment:

Diane Flynn said...

Woo-hoo. Well done!!

Not that you don't already know this, but at some point you will need to 'thin out' some of these seedlings to give the ones you leave behind enough room to grow.

I have such a black thumb that it always pains me to intentionally kill off something that actually grew for me, but think of it as them 'taking one for the team'.