Wednesday 25 July 2007

Title of Teacher's Pet reclaimed!

Since I know my readers (ahem-my roommate LJ, Tim, on occassion, and my mom, apparently) are on the edge of their seats wondering about my final art class, I shall tell you (them... you...what?) that I have, in fact, reclaimed the title of Teacher's Pet. I stole it back from Ann in our last class, thank goodness. It is really hard for me to not be the favorite, and it was touch and go for a short time there. Did you really expect anything less?

In all seriousness, though, this will be the one where I pat myself on the back a little. I was really proud of my final drawing, even though it is, of course, incomplete [I was thinking maybe the incompleteness of all of my works could be my signature. Lazy me loves this idea because I could just stop when I ran out of time, got hungry, didn't feel like drawing anymore, and blame it all on my artistic vision. Flash forward to me explaining my art when I am a highly successful artist appearing in Newbury street galleries: "What, you think they appear incomplete, silly art viewers? No, no, these are not unfinished pieces. I believe that art is the manifestation of life in a visual form, and to complete a drawing would be to complete a life, meaning, death. My works are life at its fullest, yet raw, fragile, and incomplete."]

Moving on, here is the drawing in full incomplete glory (the other drawings I posted I was able to crop so that they appeared complete, but this one was drawn in such a way I couldn't do that. Oh well. The truth is out):

Here is one of my favorite sections-- the pink flower in the center. When drawing this part, I actually started to think in a different way. Now I have forgotten what the method behind my madness was, but if I remember it one day I believe I could be quite talented.

The last detail of this final drawing: the white flowers up in the corner. I think I love these because when I used to draw in high school I would obsess over white spaces and maintaining the purity of the white. This is the exact opposite of obsession, because I didn't have to worry about maintaining the white space. I threw grey in there with abandon. Pink! Blue even. Who knew white was so colorful? (Well, aside from the fact that white is the combination of all of the colors, as I learned in physics. I know, I know, I am a nerd. I can't help it sometimes.)


Since my mom sneakily lifted my blog's website off of my instant messenger profile, read it, and then admitted what she had done, this post goes out to her. Marmie, I wouldn't have you any other way. (I can't make it too easy for you, you know. Where would be the fun in telling you I had a blog and giving you the address? Where would the challenge be in that?)

1 comment:

Diane Flynn said...

Jenn, your artwork is gorgeous, I love the flowers! In line with your goal of experimenting with sugar craft, I just bought a book you might like - 'Sugar Roses' by Tombi Peck, Alan Dunn, and Tony Warren. While I'm a bit intimidated by trying to recreate what they've done, it might be just your thing.

Diane